Thursday, May 04, 2006

Trip to Ho Chi Minh - Day 4 - Upset Day

We woke up early to have breakfast then pack up our things.

We set off from our hotel at 8am as our flight is 10.35am.

When we first arrive the airport, we went to the nearest counter to pay our airport tax. Its USD14. We are allow to pay in Vietnam Don and they can pay us the remainder in USD. Since I have more then VN900,000, i decided to pay in VN and change the rest to USD despite the low rate. When i take out all the VN, the ladies over the counter keep pestering me to pass her all the money, she will count and convert for me.

She wore a pair of spect, look very decent and i trust that pple working in the airport should be honest as they represent the image of the country. Never I expected they are as corrupted. I stupidly passed all my vietnam currencies to her and she quickly take it over and count at the desk behind the counter. The counter is too high that its not possible for me to view the counting. She then place 2 stack of notes, one for payment of the tax, the other is the remainding. The remainding is only miserable stack of notes which she converted into USD10! I was stunned upon seeing the miserable USD10.

I told her I have more then that but she keep insisting that was all I gave. I asked for her name but she said " I can't give you, what for?", I told her I will go back and count my money and see if the money is correct. She then asked me how much did I give her, all I gave her is that amount.....etc, i dun wan to argue with her as i am standing in her land, I looked at her bage, her name is NG THO THI HUONG. She swollowed my VN500,000. Its alot of money and I am very sadden by this incident. She is not worth my money. I rather give it to the tour guide for him to buy more books, eat a few KFC (he love KFC but to him its expensive).

Despite the good image that tour guide is giving us, she ruin it totally! She devasted the good impression I have for the country. Just one particular person at the Airport destroyed everyting!

Anyone going Vietnam, take note of it, tell and warn your friends and families. Don't ever change the currency at the tax paying counter. There is money changer inside the airport after checking in, offering better rate!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home